Timothy Robert Hunter (born September 10, 1960 in Calgary, Alberta) is a retired NHL forward. Chosen in the 3rd round of the 1979 NHL Entry Draft (#54 overall) by the then Atlanta Flames, Hunter went on to a 16-year career with the Calgary Flames, Quebec Nordiques, Vancouver Canucks, and San Jose Sharks. He currently serves as an assistant coach with the NHL's Toronto Maple Leafs.
Playing career Edit
Hunter was on the Flames' 1989 Stanley Cup championship team, and also appeared in the Stanley Cup Finals in 1986 with Calgary and in 1994 with Vancouver. During his playing days, Hunter was known for his fierce style of play, ranking him among hockey's unwritten list of elite enforcers during the 1980s and 1990's. He also was a quality defensive player and penalty killer.
Coaching career Edit
Tim Hunter was named as an assistant coach for the Washington Capitals on July 23, 1997, and remained in that position until July 15, 2002. He was named as an assistant coach with the San Jose Sharks on December 6, 2002, and remained in that position through the 2007-08 season. He was named as an assistant coach with the Toronto Maple Leafs on July 22, 2008.
NHL awards and honours Edit
- NHL Bud Man of the Year (nominee)
- NHL Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy (2-time nominee)
- NHL King Clancy Memorial Trophy (2-time nominee)
- Calgary Flames Ralph T. Scurfield Humanitarian Award (Winner)
- NHL penalty-minutes leader: 1986-87 (Calgary - 361 PIM), 1988-89 (Calgary - 375 PIM)
- NHL Playoffs penalty-minutes leader: 1983 (Calgary - 70 PIM)
- Calgary Flames team record: Most career penalty minutes (2,405)
- Calgary Flames team record: Most penalty minutes in one season (375 in 1988-89)
- Calgary Flames team record: Most penalty minutes in one playoff year (108 in 1986)
- Tim Hunter currently ranks eighth on the NHL's all-time penalty minute leaders list with 3,142.
|1980–81||Nova Scotia Voyageurs||AHL||17||0||0||0||62||6||0||1||1||45|
|1981–82||Oklahoma City Stars||CHL||55||4||12||16||222||—||—||—||—||—|
|1996–97||San Jose Sharks||NHL||46||0||4||4||135||—||—||—||—||—|